McInnis & Holloway
Funeral Homes

McInnis & Holloway Funeral Homes
“The opportunity to serve” is the highest compliment
McInnis & Holloway could receive.
Call (403) 243-8200 or 1-800-661-1599

Will Canada Pension Plan (CPP) cover funeral expenses?

The Canada Pension Plan offers two kinds of financial assistance for families of contributors:

Death benefit to cover funeral expenses.
The one-time death benefit payment is paid to the deceased’s estate, up to a maximum of $2,500, based on the length of time contributions to CPP have been made.

Monthly pension for survivors.
Surviving spouses and dependent children may receive a pension if the deceased contributed to CPP for three consecutive years or more (some restrictions apply).

For those who qualify, surviving spouses may receive:

  • A maximum pension of up to $451 per month (depending on age, whether they receive other pensions, and length of time contributions were made)
  • Up to $171.33 per month for each dependent child – a dependent child is defined as being under 18 years of age, or between 18 and 25 and in full-time attendance at school, college or university
  • Benefits from the month after the contributor’s death

These benefits are paid only to those who apply, and although back payments may be made, failure to apply within a year of the death will result in lost benefits. Applications may be made to Health and Welfare Canada, Income Security Program. Call (403) 292-5559 in Calgary, Alberta for an appointment, or call toll free 1-800-277-9914

If you have a question you would like answered by one of our funeral directors (at no obligation), Click here to send us an e-mail.